December 7, 1990 in Zaragoza, Spain.
After a malfunction of the electron accelerator used to treat patients with tumors at the Zaragoza Clinic, a repairman was sent out to fix the machine.
On December 20, the Spanish Nuclear Safety Board conducted its annual inspection of the machine and discovered that for almost two weeks, the machine had been radiating patients. It had been emitting approximately six times the normal dosage of radiation.
Patients suffered burns and inflammation of internal organs. Over the next year, 18 patients died. Nine patients survived the overdose, but suffered the effects of the radiation for the rest of their lives.
The case was taken to court and it was ruled that the malfunction had been the fault of the repairman and the American General Electric Company, the supplier of the machine and the owner of the maintenance contract.
The equipment was repaired and used until 1996 when it was disposed of secretly to avoid additional publicity.
A video summary of this week’s post can be found at